Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Tourist in Florence

As an Art and Design student, it was very important for me to visit Florence for the main reason that is the birthplace of Renaissance, known differently as the "Athens of Middle Ages" . Some of the world's greatest art masterpieces are located in Florence. Talking about masterpieces of the middle ages there are many names to mention such as : Michelangelo Buonarotti, Sandro Botticeli, Donatello, Filippo Bruneleschi, Masaco and of course, Leonardo Da Vinci etc. So, let's say that this city has the greatest concetration of art in the world. I guess that since now, you already have that imagine in the head of my tears - of - joy - face. 

I had to take the train from Milan to Florence and since I arrived I saw the famous "Santa Maria Novella" for it is situated just across from the main railway station which also shares its name. This church in gothic - renaissance style , is the first great basilica in Florence which contains a treasure of art. 




Piazza di Santa Maria Novella


Piazza della Repubblica

This is a special square in the city center and a location of the cultural cafes and bourgeois palaces. In this square there's a carousel with 20 horses and two gilded king's carriages. This is the antique carousel of the Picci family and it still goes around every day. 


And here we go! 
Santa Maria del Fiore

Santa Maria Del Fiore known as "Duomo di Firenze" is the main cathedral of the city. It was begun in 1296 in gothic style and completed in 1436 by Bruneleschi. The exterior is colored in the various shades of green and pink bordered by white. You have no idea how many people were waiting in a row to get inside!



One of the most significant architectural achievements of those ages was the construction by Bruneleschi of the dome over cathedral. To build this dome he employed innovative machines he designed himself. He worked on a revolutionary system that is also in use nowadays. 






Florence street art.
"Mona Lisa"

"Fontana del Porcellino" (stands for italian "piglet") is a bronze fountain in the city where tourists go for some luck. All it has to be done is putting a coin into his mouth and let it fall down the water intending to bring some good luck. So exciting! 


Hello "Palazzo Vecchio" !
This is the town hall of Florence located in the Piazza della Signoria with its copy of Michelangelo's David and many other statues in the gallery of Loggia dei Lanzi.






The first courtyard was designed by Michelozzo. In its lunettes are crests of the church and city guilds.




The fountain of Neptune made by Bartolemeo Ammanati in 1565. 

"Ponte Vecchio" or "Old bridge" is a Mediavel arch bridge over the Arno river , noted for still having shops built along it as it was once common. 


Pazzale del Michelangelo


Is a famous square with an amazing panoramic view of Florence from the top. It was built in 1869 and designed by architect Giuseppe Poggi on a hill just south of the historic center. Dedicated to the great sculptor , Michelangelo, there are copies of some of his works such as David and the four allegories of the Medici chapel of San Lorenzo. 

Enjoy the view! 




How beautiful is this place! 

After that amazing tour, I stayed some days at my relatives around Tuscany. They brought me to visit the "Vinci" town where Leonardo Da Vinci was born. This town is surrounded by Tuscan hills and landscape consists of vineyards and olive groves just like in Leonardo's time.


Half a million visitors a year come to visit come to visit the Museum of Leonardo and his birthplace. This museum has displays of some of the inventions that are drawn in his notebook. It was similar to the museum I visited in Milan. 






Church of Santa Croce, built in 13th century but later remade in neo-Renaissance style. Leonardo was baptized at the front of this church.

"The last supper" painting inside the church. 

I guess, this was one of the greatest tours I have ever taken. Florence and the magnificent green places of Tuscany made me just put myself inside the middle ages era and making me see or even touch some of the greatest art masterpieces in the world. Could I ask for more? I might even swear that for a minute I really really forgot about my way different reality. It was only one sentence going through my head all this time: Wish I could live here! 

So, what do you think? I'm already planning to visit Sicily the next summer but until then I'm keeping in my heart the lovely memories of Milan and Florence. Get ready for some changes in my next post very very soon! 

Love,
Kurisu 

No comments:

Post a Comment